Saturday, November 12, 2011

What Are You Thankful for?

Continuing with my November theme of giving thanks, here are some gadgets that have changed my life this year.

1.  iPhone:  How is it possible that I survived into adulthood without this?  Besides giving you 24/7 access to email, twitter, and Facebook, it can give you directions, tell you if you need an umbrella, and  notify you when you're late for your kid's soccer game.  Then, it can take pictures and video of that soccer game when you forget your camera in the rush.

My only complaint about iPhone is my jealousy toward Siri who my husband talks to almost as much as me.  I heard him ask her to marry him the other day.  Lucky for me, she wasn't interested.

2.  Kindle:  As I writer, I'm thankful for all eReaders but as a reader, I own a kindle.  Kindle has enabled my book addiction.  No longer am I limited to a certain amount of shelf space.  I can buy as many books as I can read and it goes anywhere.  I especially love that it stays open and is easy to operate on the treadmill.  Anyone who's ever tried to read while running with a paper book knows this is a major plus. And, let's not forget there are some amazing deals out there on kindle ebooks.


3. Macbook Air: Keeping with my Apple obsession, I am thankful for the Macbook Air my husband gave me for my birthday.  It's small and light enough to fit in my purse, plus powerful enough to support all of my computing needs.  I take this thing everywhere and have officially written a book on it over the last month.




4.Ooma:  Are you still paying for phone service?  If you have wifi in your house, you don't need to.  Pick up this baby and send your calls over the internet for free.  Love it. I'm frequently surprised how few people are taking advantage of this technology. It's a great deal if you still have a land line.

5. Roku: I'm a busy person.  You know besides the writing gig, I'm also working as the goddess of hearth and home.  So, I rarely watch TV.  But I have this nifty device called a Roku that allows me to stream a bunch of stuff when I want to watch it.  It's better than a DVR because the shows don't have commercials and I don't have to remember to record them.  I recently watched the first two seasons of Vampire Diaries on my Roku.  In my opinion, this technology is just taking off and I wouldn't be surprised if everything is streaming in the not so distant future.

So what technology are you thankful for this year?

Blog Archive

Search This Blog