Wednesday, April 27, 2011

The Great John Locke 99 Cent Experiment

Have I mentioned I love guinea pigs?
Earlier this week, I posted on the four P's of marketing your indie novel.  One of those P's was pricing and turned out to be more controversial than I expected.  So far, I've followed the J.A Konrath method of sticking to a $2.99 price point.  Some of my favorite authors Icy Sedgwick and John Wiswell also posted recently about the beauty of higher pricing for indies.  The price point has worked well for me, making my book profitable within the first month of sales.

But then a reader, Coolkayaker, pointed out a recent article in The Wall Street Journal about John Locke.  I follow Mr. Locke but hadn't researched his strategy much; he doesn't write in the same genre as me.  But after reading the article, I had to admit I was intrigued.

I've decided to be the Guinea Pig!  I'm going to run a little experiment and reduce my Kindle price to 99 cents for a limited time.

Will I sell 6 times the number of copies as usual?

That's what I need to sell to make this experiment worthwhile.  I'll report back to you on the results at the end of the experiment, including how the change impacted my ranking on Amazon.  I'm not doing any other promotion over the course of this experiment so all other variables should be near equal.

Be back soon with the results!

Blog Archive

Search This Blog