Thursday, March 17, 2011

What makes The Soulkeepers different?

The Soulkeepers is different from any YA paranormal you've ever read.  Aside from the reasons I mentioned in Tuesday's post, several other factors set it apart.  For one, my main character is a boy.  He's also Chinese-American and his girlfriend is East Indian.  If you took all of the books on the YA market, sorted out the ones with a female main character, then sorted out those with a caucasian main character, you would get a very short stack.

Beyond the main characters, I chose to write The Soulkeepers in third person so I could capture multiple points of view.  This allows the story to unfold somewhat like a mystery or thriller, genres that are sorely underrepresented in YA.  From the short stack, weed out any that are written in first person.

Are there any left?

If there are, I bet you can carry them in one arm.

What makes my book similar to others published in this genre is that it is engaging, accessible, and loaded with page-turning tension.  I hope you will give The Soulkeepers a try.  Sample it now on Kindle or Nook (links on the right).  I'll be posting chapter three tomorrow, then more to come on my launch contest.

6 comments:

  1. I have been a fan of your Flash Fiction and I look forward to reading this book. Writing in third person is a huge plus!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Jen. I agree. I'm excited to hear what you think of it as a fellow writer.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like how you're breaking from the "mold" of what's out there in YA right now.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks J! I think it's important to have books for everybody.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I, for one, welcome the opportunity to read about characters who aren't exactly like those in every other YA novel (yes, I read YA fiction, even though I'm old).

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have always disliked YA fiction because I find it talks down to kids. So far I don't see a bit of that in your book and that's perfect. I don't think kids need dumming down any more and this is so interesting that I'd read it. Honest.

    ReplyDelete

The very important thoughts of very important people -->

Blog Archive