Sunday, March 13, 2011

Author Interview Series - Karly Kirkpatrick

This will be the last interview of the series as The Soulkeepers is ready to launch!  All next week, I'll be releasing chapters, discussing the idea behind the novel, and filling you in on all of the details.


Please welcome Karly Kirkpatrick to So, Write. Here's what she had to say about her book Into The Shadows.

Please tell us a little about yourself and what motivated you to start writing? 

My story starts in 2007. J.K. Rowling had just concluded the Harry Potter series and I was desperate for new things to read. I’m also a movie buff, but at this time I was really starting to get tired of the terrible plot lines in films. So I decided to take a cue from some advice I’d read out there…write the book you’d love to read. The books play like movies in my head and I’d like to hope someday that one of them will get a chance to be on the big screen. I think that would be like my ultimate dream-come-true! Also, I’d just had my daughter and was spending a lot of hours at home staring at a sleeping baby (not nearly as exciting as everyone says). I started Into the Shadows in July, 2007, in my parents’ van as we drove to Tomahawk, Wisconsin for a family vacation.

I epublished my first novel, Into the Shadows, in November 2010. In January 2011, I started an epublishing label, DarkSide Publishing with fellow author Megg Jensen. We were later joined by two other authors…your very own G.P. Ching and Angela Carlie. I also detail my Adventures in Epublishing on my blog www.karlykirkpatrick.com. I am a member of SCBWI and am working towards a master’s degree in Writing and Publishing at DePaul University in Chicago. My second book, a YA paranormal romance titled Bloody Little Secrets, will be released later this spring from DarkSide Publishing.


What is Into the Shadows about? 
It is the story of Paivi Anderson, a high school freshman who is trying to maintain a normal life despite some major factors at play that she has absolutely no control over. She has the ability to see into the future, which she is hiding from her friends. Paivi is also confronted with a larger threat—a presidential candidate with an agenda that threatens to destroy her life.

How did you come up with the idea for Into the Shadows?I started by putting a lot of things together that I had knowledge of and liked (action, political intrigue, adventure, romance, historical themes-made-modern, paranormal elements). It really adhered to the ‘write what you know’ motto that writers sometimes hear. I don’t necessarily believe that in all cases, but it is helpful/easier to write what you know sometimes!

What makes Into The Shadows different or special compared to the other titles in this genre?
I’ve seen in reviews that people have appreciated the strong female main character and the step away from the more formulaic YA paranormal novels.

Another special thing about the book is I used my knowledge of World War II, the Holocaust, and the McCarthy era (I am a history minor and history teacher on occasion) as the basis for the story. I really tried to take a look at what it would be like if a similar, paranormal situation occurred today. How would we handle it? How would kids react to such difficult and confusing circumstances?

What type of reader do you feel will enjoy this book the most?
Readers who like their action/adventure/political intrigue/paranormal books with a dash of romance will enjoy this book. I think it appeals to a vast range of ages and both genders.

What has been the most difficult part of the publishing process for you? The most rewarding?The most difficult part of the publishing process was wading through a couple of years of querying the book to agencies and publishing houses and finding it just didn’t fit with what they were looking for, despite the fact that they liked the story.

The most rewarding has been the entire epublishing process. The idea that I’ve been lucky enough to reach out to readers and have the opportunity to put my book in their hands has been the coolest thing so far!

Where can we buy your book?

The ebook is available for $2.99/ 1.71 GBP at:

Amazon

Amazon UK

Barnes & Noble 

Smashwords

The paperback is available for $11.00 at:
CreateSpace

Amazon 

Blog Archive

Search This Blog